Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Slip and Fall


I'm not a rock climber. I don't climb mountains. I've been to the top of Mormon Rock, but didn't fall.

However I feel like I am today. I feel like I've spent so much time and energy climbing a rock face that seemed nearly impossible. How rewarding it is to work your way higher, getting closer to your goal. Having the way seem easier than expected most of the time, but finding some tough spots that took more time and more concentration. Even sometimes realizing you had to go back down a little ways before you could head towards the top again. But overall knowing you were achieving something great.

Look around, see how far I've come. See the spots below that caused some pain and worry, but were overcome. Suddenly I realize I'm not even holding on anymore. I'm falling, farther than ever before. I don't know what happened but I catch glimpses of problems on the way down that I didn't notice were wrong choices while I was on the way up. Areas I'd worked so hard at and thought so carefully about suddenly seem foolish places to have put my fingers and toes. And now I'm paying for those mistakes I didn't even realize I'd made.

How far will I fall? How much progress did I lose? Will I end up somewhere I can get back to climbing or will I hit the ground and be done?

But the view from where I had gotten was beautiful. Gorgeous actually, and made me happy. Definitely worth climbing for again if I have the chance. I'll try not to screw up again. Maybe ask more questions, get more input before making my decisions on where to hold on tight and go slowly, and where to let go and let my instinct guide me. I hope I can try, and that I've learned.

1 comment:

Norm said...

When climbing to great heights, an occasional fall is expected. That is why sane climbers use a safety rope to arrest falls. The outcome is based on how many achers you put in the rock and how well they are placed...and how good your partner is is holding the rope. It is even normal for one or two anchors to pull from the wall during a segnificant fall.
I know you enough to have confidence that you place good solid anchors as you climb. You wouldn't fall if you were climbing on flat ground. Get your fingers and feet back to work, things look better, the higher you climb. You are awesome, and I hook into some of your anchers while I follow you up that great climb!!!!!