Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hello 2009

Well, it's January 1st...again. How the years go by so fast is beyond me. I've never been much into the New Years Eve celebrations. I guess it was fun as a kid because it was a night you didn't get told to go to bed until you were more than ready. But as an adult I can't remember the last time I've done anything to celebrate. And, since we usually have to get up at 4:00 am to go sell seat cushions at the Rose Parade New Years morning it's a good idea to get to bed early anyway.

I did stay up until midnight last night, but only because Tyaan was out and I needed to go pick her up (I left home at 5 after midnight to miss all of the gun shooting in celebration, and to get there and back before all of the drinkers started driving themselves home) I got her and got home safely.

So this morning as I was packing up all of my Christmas decorations it dawned on me that 2008 is gone and 2009 has begun. Of course this hits me especially hard because Tyaan is in the Class of '09 and will graduate in June. I have been dreading that for years now because it means she's grown up and I have to start letting her go.

I guess the new year is good for several things. Looking back at things I've accomplished, or haven't. Things I haven't made as much of a priority as I should have. Sacrifices that have been made for things that are important to me. Goals for the coming year and benchmarks that I will strive to reach. I have things that fit into all of these categories and they've been filling my mind throughout the day.

I hope 2009 will bring great things to myself and my family. I'm looking forward to the accomplishments and celebrations we will have reason to have, even though in some cases they will be reason for sadness as well. I hope I can continue working to achieve all of the things I want to. I hope I will continue to have things to sacrifice for, and the means to provide the things I need for those I love.

God bless you and yours, and Happy New Year! I hope it's full of everything you're hoping it will be.

No comments: